Dieses Wiki wurde von Austauschstudierenden erstellt. Falls Inhalte veraltet oder unvollständig sind, bitten wir die Leser und Nutzer diese zu bearbeiten und aktualisieren.
This Wiki was created by exchange students. If some content is outdated or incomplete, we encourage readers and users to edit and update the information.

MUAS - Munich

Consulate ("KVR")

For CalPoly students: Because you are from the US, you don't need to get a visa to enter Germany or apply for a student visa. Instead you get a residence permit (from the KVR) that essentially extends the Schengen visa and also allows you to work.

For TUD students: You don’t need a visa because you are from Europe.

For both: You have to register for residency within 2 weeks at “Bϋrgerbϋro” / “Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR)” (similar to a DMV trip). Follow these steps (For more information, see chapter arrival or integration)

  1. Check the website of the KVR to make an appointment: https://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/terminvereinbarung_bb.html (if you have a mentor, talk to them because they can arrange the appointment for you) 
  2. You will get a number 
  3. Go to the KVR on the date of your appointment (be there on time!)
  4. Bring your completed and signed registration form, housing confirmation and a copy of your passport 
  5. Check the display at the KVR for your number 
  6. Register
  7. Before you leave Germany: Go to the KVR again and cancel 


If you have a residence permit, you only need the registration form, your passport, and the housing confirmation. If you don’t have a residence permit, you need:

  • Registration form 
  • Certificate of enrollment
  • Passport
  • Housing confirmation
  • Health insurance certificate 
  • Proof of financing 
  • One biometric photo

Just to be safe, bring these documents to your appointment:

  • Money (about 70€)
  • Certificate of enrollment (Immatrukulationsbescheinugung)
  • Passport
  • Registration form from the student housing office (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung)
  • Completed application for your residency permit. If you can’t prepare it before you go, they should have these applications there too.
  • Biometrical photo (can be taken at a photo booth in the subway (U-Bahn) stations)
  • Proof of health insurance (Krankenkassennachweis)
  • Proof of financial security (letter from your parents or copy of your bank statement, etc.)
  • Registration certificate from MUAS (Meldebescheinigung)
  • Address of your dorm